Holiness: Requirements (1)
by Pat McIntosh
Holiness is that which is exemplified and expressed in the Divine Nature of Deity. In His pre-incarnate form, Christ embodied holiness due His divine nature. In His incarnate form He CHOSE to be holy as an example for all mankind.
We are to be holy, but what does that mean? What does it involve? Is it something innate or is it something that we must exert effort to attain and maintain?
Holiness is something that God does as we meet certain conditions and requirements. Paul, when he wrote to the church at Rome, indicated that none are righteous because all have sinned (Rom. 3:10). Righteousness and holiness are both bestowed by God when preset conditions are met. This is seen initially in our conversion/baptism, but is also something that must be maintained by “talking the talk and walking the walk.” In other words, as we submit our wills to His in obedient faith, He sets us apart as His special possession. We are His children and take on numerous responsibilities as we receive that privilege.
Holiness requires us to live a sacrificial life (Rom. 12;1-2). Holiness requires that we respect and heed to God’s authority. To be seen as holy we must keep ourselves pure. We must seek forgiveness, acknowledging that we sin and fall short of His glory. We must also realize that no one can do this for us; we must make a personal effort to be made holy and to remain in that state.
God desires that all men be saved. He has made provision for us all to attain a home in heaven with Him. Will all men be there? No, only a few will inherit that eternal home. Heaven will be occupied by those who have lived a life of submission to His will.
Sunday A.M. Sermon – Holiness: What is Required of Us? (1)
Introduction – Col. 2:14; Lev. 19:2; Rom. 15:4
- We must make sacrifices – Jno. 4:24; Lev. 6:8-13, 24-23, 24-30; 7:1-10, 11-21; 1 Cor. 14:26, 40; Lev. 7:22-27; 1 Cor. 13:1-3
- We must respect divine authority – Jno. 12:48; Lev. 9:5-6; Heb. 5:8-9; Lev. 10:1-7; Heb. 7:14; Acts 15:24
- We must keep ourselves pure – Matt. 5:8; 1 Cor. 6:20; Rev. 2:4; Col. 3:17
- We must seek forgiveness – Acts 2:37-38; Heb. 7:24-27; 9:26-27; 1 Pet. 1:18-19
- We must make holiness personal – Lev. 18:24-30; 1 Thes. 4:3-4; Lev. 19:1-8; Mk. 12:29-31; Lev. 19:9-18; Mt. 7:12; Lev. 19:34-37; 1 Jno. 2:15-17
Sunday P.M. Sermon – The Folly of Delay (James 4:13-16)